January 21, 2012

TBR Intervention #11





It's TBR Intervention Challenge time! My favorite challenge ever! We get to organize our huge To Be Read piles and actually read those books we've been wanting to (or been supposed to) for the longest time! The challenge is hosted by April @ Books4Juliet, Dani @ Refracted Light and Ayanami @ Whatever You Can Still Betray, and it's hosted every Saturday, though you're free to join every two weeks if that's more convenient for you. As always, do join us! Here's the rules:


1. Post the book(s) you committed to read in your last TBR Intervention post and tell us something about it. Did you finish it? Did you enjoy it or not? Post the link to your review (if you have one). 
2. Post a book that you want to read and already own. Pick something that has been sitting on your shelf for too long now (6 months or longer). Commit to read the book in the next couple of days or week.
3. Grab the TBR Intervention Button and post it on your blog sidebar so you will be constantly reminded of the challenge, making it easier for you to commit. This will also encourage other readers/bloggers/visitors to join the challenge.
4. Add the link to your post in the Linky below and make sure to visit the other blogs. Comment, encourage, and spread the love to our fellow readers. 
And here's how I did this week:
  • Last week TBR IC: Success! 

         

And wow, I'm actually kind of surprised about this one! I committed to read The Lure of Shapinsay, Katana and Beckoning Light. The results have been... eclectic. I love the Lure, you can check out my review about why here. Katana was an okay book - it wasn't outstanding, I think, and I probably didn't enjoy it as much because I felt there were some things that could have been historically correct without detracting from the story. More to come when I can post the review, in a couple of weeks (PubDs and all that). I managed to finish Beckoning Light in the last minute, yesterday night, and I'm still trying to figure out what failed to engage me. It was fairly okay, "but", if you know what I mean. Review to come Jan 31st (yes, that's the first opening I had, sad but true...)
  • Next week TBR IC: 
Next week, I'm going to put a dent into my ARC with Ripper, a YA based on the tale of Jack the Ripper that I'm dying to read, and try to follow up with a read for an upcoming tour, Promising Light. Promising Light's pretty long, so I'm not sure whether I'll pull it off, but I'll try! 


So, that's it. What about you? What did you read? Did you enjoy it? How's the upcoming week looking for you? 

12 comments:

  1. Yay! Wow you finished your books again! Congratulations Ron! We all seem to have a successful reading challenge, it feels great =) Your two books for next week looks good too especially the Promising Light. Ripper looks scary... I don't think I can read that book. hehe. I'm sure you're going to finish them this week and I hope you'll get to enjoy them too. =)

    P.S. I want to feature you in my Thursday Revisits probably on March if it's ok with you, and if the schedule won't cause conflict. I would be glad to talk about Soul Screamers since we're participating in the SSRC =) What do you think? I hope you accept! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Yes, please! I'd love to be featured on your Thursday Revisits, I love that feature! I'm sure we can plan it :) And yes, talking about Soul Screamers should be great! Besides, we should have read at least one full book before March, no? :) So, yes, let's talk more about how to do this!

      About TBR, thanks! I thought I'd not make it this week but... I went to sleep reaaaally late yesterday! Promising Light sounds to be amazing - fantasy, shapeshifters, romance... And the cover is gorgeous, and that always helps!

      I'll let you know about Ripper. I'm going through a Jack the Ripper fascination spell (I blame (Re)Visions: Alice and The name of the Star) so I hope I'll like it... We'll see how scary it turns out to be!

      Delete
    2. That's great! Thanks Ron! Thank you for accepting =) It's a pleasure to have you on my blog, YAY! I will just send you an email or personal message if the time comes. I'm so excited to have you in the feature! I really enjoy doing that meme, and having friends like you to talk about those books we love is such an exciting moment for me =) I will let you know the exact date, and email you once I finished the questions =) Thank you so much Ron! XOXO!

      Delete
    3. Perfect! Mail me when you're ready (I'm more likely to see the mail than facebook... I have this hate/need relationship with that one. I guess I just need to get over it, as I did with Twitter, but in the meantime, good ol' e-mail is so much trusti-er!)
      Thanks again for the chace, April!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing all the books! Sorry you didn't enjoy Katana. I have that on my TBR pile but have been wavering on reading it...now I might just decline it. The Ripper one looks great! (I'm a huge Ripper fan.) Can't wait to see your thoughts on that one. Also glad that both you and April are doing to SSRC! I am loving these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yep, the SS series is turning out awesome! (Okay, I'm not really -far- into it, but anyway)
      I'd perhaps give Katana a shot... It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either! :) Besides, the reasons I didn't exactly love it might be completely unimportant for a more normal reader (aka, someone who hasn't made a point of studying japanese and is, indeed, familiar with bushido and ninjutsu).
      I started Ripper last night - loving it so far!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry you didn't like Katana--that was the book I was most interested in hearing your reviews of. :(

    I love the cover of Promising Light--so I am going to hope that it works out better for you. Fingers crossed!

    Shanan
    http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katana's PubD is March 1st, so the review will come out a couple of weeks before that :) I think I'm going to post a small reminder on that week's TBR, so that I can properly explain what I liked and didn't like if you still want to read my comments (there were some cool things in there, too!).

      The cover for Promising Light completely bought me into the book, too! Besides, the idea is very interesting - a mix between fatasy and "paranormal" of sorts! We'll see next week how it turns out!

      Delete
  4. Yay Ron! You got through all three! :) Sorry there were such varied opinions on the books this week. Ripper sounds interesting... though ANYTHING about Jack the Ripper is instantly fascinating to me. And I love the cover for Promising Light. Good luck this week, hope that you enjoy both books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same fascination abour Ripper here! :) That's why I added The Name of the Star to my Wishlist too, even though there are such mixed reviews... I just started it, and it's sounding great! :)

      Delete
  5. Way to go! I didn't write a TBR Intervention post this week. I had some out of town company, but hope to join in again next week.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, we'll be waiting for you, Steph! Company from out of town tends to be demanding, so it's a perfectly understandable reason! :) Hope you have a great week!

      Delete