January 16, 2012

Review: Hollowland, by Amanda Hocking


Author: Amanda Hocking
Title: Hollowland
Series: The Hollows (#1)
ISBN: 9781453860953
Publisher: Amanda Hocking (2010)

Buy your copy: Kindle | Paperback

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"-"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.
-" GoodReads’ blurb

This was my first zombie apocalypses novel. It won’t be the last.

Reading Hollowlands was a relief, in so many ways. You know those wild moments when you are wound too tight? How you get to your room, crank up some hard rock CD in the player, and start jumping around and screaming yourself hoarse until you’re as relaxed as a newborn baby?

Well, Hollowlands was that kind of book.


I didn’t find it particularly deep. The plot offered some surprises, but the important twists were all expected. The bits that caught me unaware were either not that important, like the strange religious community they find in the middle of nowhere, or made me frown instead of smile – er, lions and tigers? Isn’t that a bit too much?

The characters were okay, not deep enough to make me ponder their personalities but not so flat that I’d not be able to like them. I felt like the rock star fell a bit flat – like he should have a stronger personality, or, since he was indeed a rock star, that the fact should weight more in the story. Or something.

The action was over the top – not over the top for a martial artist, but certainly too much for a girl who has trained for only a few months and not her whole life. It made me think of Chuck Norris movies, at times.

... That reads like an awful lot of complains, doesn’t it?

And yet, as I said, the reading was refreshing, quick, and most satisfying. So much so that I bought the second instalment as soon as I finished up with the first. Why?

Because it works for what it’s intended. It hooked me, because the prose was light and easy and fast even though the action was predictable. It did its job so well, that I’m considering becoming a regular reader of an entirely new genre – zombie novels and apocalypses lurking in the corner, anyone?

So, I guess you should give it a shot as well, even if the reasoning behind this advice is... shaky. I don’t think you’ll regret it.  

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite Amanda Hocking novel. I agree, I don't find any of her books particularly deep. However, they are FUN... if a book about a zombie apocalypse can be considered fun. But they don't require a lot of thought and sometimes you just need a book that doesn't have you mulling over some deep and buried theme.

    I was actually surprised that I liked this book, because it is a zombie book. It was my first zombie book and made me realize that maybe, just maybe, I could get into zombies... or zombie-apocalypse-survivor books, more accurately. lol.

    I haven't read the second book yet. I only hope that Remy gets herself out of the situation she's left in at the end of Hollowland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani!

      Yes, that's exactly my point! It's not a life-changing book, but dang, it sure is fun! I'm thinking Rot and Ruin's going to be my next zombie book, too - yep, I got into the genre.

      Haven't read Hollowmen yet either, but I will as soon as I get a break to squeeze it in. I also want to know how that situation turns out. Boy, was it a situation!

      I'd not have stayed behind, frankly. Get their own guinea pig somewhere else or something. So I'm really looking forward to it!

      Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I love zombie novels! I have been wanting to give Amanda Hocking a try, so I'll have to get this. Thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like it then ;) It's pretty fun!

      Delete