July 19, 2012

Review: Lucid, by P.T. Michelle


Author: P.T. Michelle
Title:  Lucid
Series: Brightest Kind of Darkness (#2)
ISBN:
Publisher: P.T. Michelle (July 9th 2012)
Disclaimer: Copy provided by author for review

Buy your copy: Kindle

My rating: 4 of 5

“Once Nara combines her prophetic ability with Ethan’s power to outsmart Fate at his own deadly cat-and-mouse game, she’s more determined than ever to help Ethan learn the meaning behind the raven sword tattoo that suddenly appeared on his back after their confrontation with Fate.

During her quest to uncover the tattoo’s secrets, Nara enlists the help of some new friends and discovers her own surprising connection to Ethan.

While Nara digs deeper into the mystery, her desire for answers leads her down a dangerous path full of powerful and ruthless enemies. Swept into an age-old battle, Nara quickly learns that keeping one’s enemies close can be a necessary evil, making an intangible enemy she can control far more preferable to the human enemies she can’t.” GoodReads’ blurb

I was lucky enough to win a copy of Brightest Kind of Darkness little after it was released... I read it right away, fell in love and had to undergo and painful waiting period while Lucid came out. This waiting period had two effects: it increased my urge to read Lucid ASAP and it made my expectations skyrocket...

Well, again I was in luck: I got a review copy thanks to PT Michelle upon publication, and it surpassed even my hightened expectations.

I mean, I knew Nara and Ethan. I loved how they were down to earth, real people beyond their respective powers. I loved their connection, how it went deeper than their complex abilities playing off one another. I knew that there was a big deal about the raven feather and strange tattoo... But knowing all that couldn’t have prepared me for Lucid.

In this book, I both missed Ethan and loved his absence. It was for the best of the story that he chose to deal with the demons of his past in order to truly be with Nara, but I could feel her need to be with him and her fear when he was away. Then, in steps Dryst, a lovely Welsh boy who might or might not have feelings for her but who is, more than anything else, a friend to Nara when she needs one. He’s a friend who’s hiding his own secret too, and one willing to go to great lenths to prove his loyalty and to win her trust.

Can we say “I love Dryst” all together, please?

He had a killer accent, great looks, a laid-back attitude with funny moments and just the right dose of protectiveness, and he is great at parcour, so we can define him as “one big muscle”. If we add him to the fact that Ethan comes back changed, and not exactly for the best, we have some food for thought.

I hate spoiling things, so there’s not much I can tell you except that Ethan has been doing more than just fixing his family life while back at home. He’s also really secretive about it: he doesn’t want Nara involved; he doesn’t even want her help with figuring out the meaning of the raven tattoo. Which I thought was kind of unfair, taking into account the effort Nara put into helping him... and the things she had to face.

Let’s just leave it at that, and part with a paraphrased quote: “If the darkness if deep enough, it can swallow the light”.

Are you curious yet? I admit, Lucid will give you more questions than answer in the Brightest Kind of Darkness world, but you definitely want to be asking yourself those questions. So, go and read the book! What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment