August 20, 2012

What do YOU look for in a review?


Reading Romances has organized a hop where we get to answer a question... and I thought it was a really interesting one, so thanks for the initiative!

So, here's my answer:


I want to...

... know the style of the book. If it's a light read, if I'm going to cry, if I'm going to laugh. It helps me decide when I want to pick the book up if at all.
... know about the characters. Solid? Clich├ęd? Did you relate to them? This is the most important part!
... know about the storyline--which is not to say the plot. I just want to know if it makes sense, if it's been well done, if it's a sink-or-swim case...

I don't want to...

... read spoilers. I definitely don't want anything to do with unmarked spoilers, when I haven't even been warned.
... read a reinterpretation of the summary. I want your thoughts on the book, not the back blurb!
... read if it's a great or awful book, without a single clue about why you felt that way.


So, what do you think? What's a great review for you? (And how do you feel about my reviews? Hehehehe...)


6 comments:

  1. Ugh, spoilers. HATE that :) Also loved descriptions of the characters

    The Brunette Librarian Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate spoilers, too. I really appreciate it when reviewers tell me about any typos or formatting issues. I think that a good review needs to have a book cover at a short blurb.

    I enjoy author interviews a lot, especially if they are funny or candid. I am following you, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely cover and blurb! I started leaving those out... I think I lasted all of two weeks before I began adding them! It just feels naked otherwise.

      Good point!

      Delete
  3. I too hate spoilers. I like short and to the point. Did you like the book and how much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you. That's why I love reading your reviews, they have everything I need to know to decide if I want to read the book or not.

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. When a reviewer tells me whether she liked a book, I want her to tell me why. I like enough information to decide for myself whether this book might be for me.

    ReplyDelete